Entry 4

Growing up I was an English Language Learner. I felt like I understood how I learned a second language and what goes into learning a second language. So, I felt that I understood how it was done and it seemed pretty simple. Through this online course, I soon realized that it was not actually so simple as it looked. As I knew already, each child is different. Each child learns differently. Each child comes to you at a different level. The same goes for English Language Learners. They are all different but other things must be taken into account such as how their home language can impact how they learn and acquire English. Through my own experience, I, of course, did not know this. I did not know these little aspects were taken into account. There is so much that goes into teaching English Language Learners.
Through this class, I found out and learned that so much actually goes into teaching a second language. There are many different approaches in teaching students a second language yet, one approach cannot be pinpointed as being superior than another. Some of these approaches are best combined but the only way to know whether something works or not is by keeping up with research to see what researchers say. To teach a second language there is so much research that goes into and there is so much research that needs to be done. You really must keep up with current research to best teach your students. With the thought of keeping up with research in mind, that has really made an impact on my professional practice. According to Brown and Lee (2015), research is done in the classroom already when you ask relevant questions, hypothesize possible answers and solutions, try out your hypothesis, look for results, and analyze your results (p. 555). I know for sure that I have to keep up with research but also conduct research of my own, so I can better teach and aid my students in growing when learning English. I definitely will implement some of the different approaches and models that I learned as well in my future classroom.
In this class, I felt that it was very rich and dense. There was a lot to learn in such a short amount of time. The topics in this class were appropriate and flowed well. Each topic had a good amount of time to them as well. I liked the many different strategies used such as writing in a blog, quizzes, papers, using and making videos, listening to and make audio clips, and interviews. I felt that the many different strategies utilized really reflected how differentiated learning could take place. With these thoughts in mind, I feel like maybe alternative projects or assignments could have been given or maybe there could have been alternative ways in completing an assignment. Just speaking for myself, some assignments are hard for me to complete adequately in the way that it is required due to my student teaching schedule and the particular school that I’m at which does not have many English language learners. Other than that, I liked the many ways learning was differentiated for us and the fact that we were still able to learn from our peers through the use of blogging.

Overall, I was able to learn a lot from this class. I gained a new perspective and understanding other than the one I already had. Now, I am able to use what I’ve learned in my future classrooms. 

Comments

  1. Hi Chenda!
    I really liked your perspective on the impact and importance of research to back up instructional strategies. I agree that there are many methods to teach ELLs, but there is not one that is better than all of the rest. It also depends on the type of students you get in your class each year and the types of learners you receive. There are a lot of challenges, but there are a lot of resources out there to help teachers do the best that they can to help students succeed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, in so many of my other classes I found that research is always used to justify why we are doing something the way we are doing something. I don’t know why I didn’t realize that in this class it wouldn’t be any different. Just as I learned in other classes, understanding and knowing your students is beneficial in teaching them at their level. All in all, there are many things that must be considered when teaching students but like you said there are many resources available now to help teachers succeed in helping students succeed.

      Delete
  2. Hey Chenda,
    I felt the same way before entering this course. I didn’t know that learning a second language had so much information and subtle differences for certain students. I like the fact that you brought up that research is done every day in the classroom, by asking questions and seeing what strategies work best with your students. This type a research reminds me of self and peer assessments, in which students can provide the teacher information to make instruction. Some advantages of self-assessments that it has direct involvement of students, encourages autonomy, and an increase of motivation. (O’Malley & Pierce, 1996). I would like to use some of these strategies to assess my students and myself the at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell Chenda,
    I agree that this course has informed that there so much to take into account when educating ELL students. Research was also something that was really taken into account in this course. I liked your point about how research is done is the classroom as well. However, I think that something that I will take from this course is that when dealing with a student research will help myself grow as an educator and my student as well.(Brown and Lee, 2015)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chenda,
    I completely agree with you that this course had so much information for us to learn in such a small amount of time. I appreciate that you pointed out that the course used multiple strategies for learning, properly modeling how we should be think as teachers. I had not thought about this point so I'm glad that you discussed it.
    I, too, had difficulties when it came to the amount of ELLs in my school to utilize for my assignments. I have one student out of 68 that is classified as ELL. I'm unsure as to how to remedy this issue as we are placed in such a diverse area of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chanda,
    I agree with you that being an English language learner teacher is not simple what so ever after taking this course. These teachers have to put in so much extra work to make accommodates for their students and most people don’t know that because it is never talked about. I truly have a strong appreciation and respect for these teachers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3