Hello!
Hello my name is Chenda Chab.
This blog is for my Second Language Methodology Class.
Here's my blog entry #1
Blog Entry #1 - All About Me
This blog is for my Second Language Methodology Class.
Here's my blog entry #1
Blog Entry #1 - All About Me

Hi Chenda! I really loved your video. It was really cool to see pictures of your family. I enjoyed learning more about you and families journey to America. Hearing you speak in your family’s native tongue was amazing. I have known you for a while now and never got the chance to hear you speak in Khmer. It is interesting to know that you have had such experiences with different languages. I have a bit of the same experiences in middle school and high school with learning Spanish and French. I also feel that I have learned a lot of Spanish from my friends/family. Even from television as a kid I learned quite a bit as well. In the textbook Teaching by Principles, it states that, “However, with more widespread current access to technological media (video, television, audio, Internet, computer software, smart phones, and the social media), both teachers and students can benefit from language input well beyond the teacher and (printed) course material” (Brown and Lee, 2015, p 33). I think that technology currently plays such a huge role in how we learn and how information is being feed to us. I found it very interesting as well that you use an app called “Duolingo.” Some of my good friends use the app to teach themselves English. I agree that I want to ignite a passion for learning within my students too. Overall I really did enjoy your video Chenda! Thank you for sharing with us.
ReplyDeleteHey Desiree! I think the only times I really speak in Khmer is to my parents, to my parents’ friends, and sometimes to my siblings, so many don’t get to hear it. My Khmer is really broken and basic though due to lack of practice. After reading your comment, I really liked what you said about technology. I too, think that because of the technology we have it certainly plays a huge role in how we learn. There are just so many great resources available on the internet and if someone really wanted to learn something they can always find a way. I know that for me I really rely on technology in order to relearn Khmer or learn other languages I’m interested in. Technology is just simply amazing. Thanks for watching and commenting Desiree!
DeleteHi Chenda! I found your video super interesting! I believe your language is very beautiful and loved hearing you speak it! I never knew how Khmer was pronounced until now. I thought your pictures were interesting and how you are a first generation American as well. Listening to how you were taught in English in class and learned English as well from the TV it reminded me of the direct method from Brown & Lee, "no translation between first and second languages, and little or no analysis of grammatical rules" (Brown & Lee, 2015, p. 21). I may be wrong though! But I did experience learning English similar to you! I learned a lot through TV! I thought TV was very helpful since it was basically just repeating English over and over and you would have to use context clues to know what they were talking about. So it was a little self taught! Thank you for sharing about yourself!
ReplyDeleteHey Julie! That’s exactly how I learned English! I was put in ESL classes with a lot of other Khmer speaking kids, we would talk amongst ourselves, but our teacher only spoke in English. I remember my teacher using a lot of pictures when she spoke so we would understand what she was saying. For the most part, in my class, there were some of my peers who caught on to English faster so I had many ways of learning English whether it be from hearing it on TV, from my teacher, or from my peers. Although, there were many students in the class that became really proficient in English because of TV. I feel like TV really had a great impact on us first-generation American. Thanks for watching and commenting Julie!
DeleteHello Chenda! I think it is very interesting that you know how to speak a lot of KHMER- (Never heard it before in my life until now and it sounds very interesting!) I am also struggling to re- learn my native language- Spanish. But I am very excited and can’t wait to seize an opportunity in relearning it my immersing myself in the language and culture. In my experience I have found that immersing myself in the language I want to learn forces me to learn quicker than other ways. I also think learner- centered approach to learning another language is most beneficial because it focuses on the interests of the learner. Kind of how you are using videos, dramas and apps that support your learning on Khmer language. (Brown & Lee, 2015, p. 44). One of my favorite ways to re-learn Spanish is by listening to a lot of Spanish music.
ReplyDeleteHey Valerie! I take it as an honor to be the one to introduce you to Khmer! Not many people know of Cambodia and the language we speak just because it’s one of the smaller Asian nations that’s not so prolific. I’m happy to hear that you’re so excited in relearning your native language by immersing yourself in the language and focusing on things that interest you. Immersion also works really well for me too as I’m forced to learn quicker like you said. I too find that listening to music a good approach at learning a language. I feel like we definitely think the same way about how a person learns a language. Thanks for watching and commenting Valerie!
DeleteHi Chenda!
ReplyDeleteI have never heard or seen your language written before, it looks very interesting. I think that it’s a similar story for us who are first-generation children that have their native language but are slowly losing it due to a lack of use as English becomes our main language. Also, I think it’s amazing that you know so much Korean based on watching dramas and having friends that are also equally interested in the language and culture! That must be pretty encouraging to have so many people join you on this endeavor!
Hey Jennie! For the video, I had my mom write out what I was saying in Khmer then I copied it to make it bigger. It was hard writing it and all I really knew how to write to begin with was my name. I wanted to include that because I felt that many haven’t seen how Khmer was written and I really wanted to share that. You’re also right about first-generation children losing our native language because of our primary use of the English language. Once I realized this a few years back I told myself that I needed to at least relearn how to speak my native language. About Korean, what I know isn’t all that much but the basics, but thank you! Like you said, it really is encouraging to have people teach me and encourage me in learning Korean, even if I’m just learning it for fun. Thanks for watching and commenting Jennie!
DeleteChenda, I absolutely loved watching your video! I found it beautiful listening to you speak khmer. I think learning to speak the language is very important. Reading and writing is definitely handy though too. That is like me. I speak Arabic, and while I can write and read to a certain extent I would not consider myself fluent in that aspect, only in speech. I think it is awesome that you are taking the initiative to practice and improve your khmer. I also used to love Korean Dramas!
ReplyDeleteHey Norah! Just like you said I think learning to speak the language is very important! In my endeavors in relearning Khmer I am mainly focusing on relearning how to speak it. I understand a great deal of it but sometimes it’s a bit hard to say some words because I’ll have trouble producing the sound. When my mom watches her Khmer dramas I often mimic what the actors or actresses are saying. Sometimes I do this jokingly but oftentimes I just like working on my pronunciation of words I hear. This is actually the same way I picked up on Korean. I watch a lot of Korean dramas and listen to a lot of Korean music and oftentimes would mimic what they say. Through the use of subtitles and mimicry I ended up learning quite a bit. Thanks for watching and commenting Norah!
DeleteI really enjoyed the way you started your slideshow/video, I loved that you wrote on a piece of paper and displayed them with you in the background, very nice idea. Like you, I also learned English by watching TV, and with help from ESL classes, and both of them combined also helped me to learn the language quickly. I am glad that your boyfriend is helping you learn Spanish, and “duolingo” is a great tool! I believe that as long as you practice a little bit every day, it will benefit you to reach your goal of speaking Spanish.
ReplyDeleteHey Maisa! For the video, I really wanted to share the Khmer language with everyone! So, I thought it would be fun to speak Khmer and show you all how it looked like as I spoke. I then wanted to translate everything I said in Khmer to English and elaborate. I thought it would be a fun way to introduce myself and I’m glad you liked it! I think for us that learned English as a second language, what we watched on TV definitely helped us in picking up the English language quickly. I too, am thankful that my boyfriend helps me in learning Spanish and that there are wonderful tools like Duolingo available. It’s true what you’ve said, a little practice every day does help me in reaching my goal of speaking Spanish. Thanks for watching and commenting Maisa!
DeleteHi, Chenda! I really enjoy watching your video. Through your childhood photos, I can know more about you. According to these lovely and happiness photos, I can see you have a happy family and communicate well. Even you said the reason why you started to learn Korean is for fun, it is a good beginning to learn a new language. Once you are interested in learning a new language, you would like to learn more and more. Richards and Rodgers summarized the theory of learning behind the Silent Way as the facilitation of learning though encouraging inductive learning by discovery and relating physical objects to the new language (Brown & Lee, 2015, p.26). Since I also like to watch Korean TV shows, even variety shows, for many years, I found that I could understand several words when Korean friends were talking. I think the reason is Korean and Chinese are both Asia language. There are some similarities between these two languages, but I never started to learn it. I think it is better for me to learn English well first.
ReplyDeleteHey Wei! I think learning a language for fun, in my case Korean, is a good basis for learning a language! Like you said, once you are interested in a language you’ll just want to learn more and more and that’s exactly how I feel. I think that’s how you and I, after watching so many Korean dramas and Korean variety shows, were able to understand several words in Korean. As for your English, after being in class with you these past few semesters I think your English is coming along wonderfully! I’m pretty sure you have put in much effort in learning English, not only learning out of necessity, but also out of interest. Thanks for watching and commenting Wei!
DeleteChenda, thank you for your great video! Your language of Khmer is very interesting and I have never heard of it. I can definitely relate to watching dramas in different languages. It is a great way to learn a new language or keep your first language in your head!
ReplyDelete